Everyone experiences eye dryness on occasion. In most cases, temporary eye dryness can be managed with artificial tears and warm compresses.
Chronic eye dryness, however, is biologically different. It is most often caused by meibomian gland dysfunction (MGD), a common condition that results in the blockage or reduced quality of the gland oil necessary for tear film production.
Risk factors for MGD include …
- Drop in estrogen caused by menopause, or medications that block estrogen, such as breast cancer therapies.
- Regular, long-term steroid/cortisone use.
- Diabetes, rosacea, and autoimmune disorders.
- Contact lens wear for extended periods.
- Eye makeup buildup.
The good news is chronic eye dryness, also referred to as Dry Eye Disease, is treatable!
Coronado Eye Care Optometry performs dry eye treatment in the San Diego area, and is proud to now offer the treatment benefits of OptiLight by Lumenis, the first and only FDA-approved light therapy to treat dry eyes.
Treatment protocol typically consists of 4 sessions, at 2 to 4 weeks apart:
- During treatment, your practitioner will cover your eyes with shields and apply a thin layer of coupling gel on the treatment area.
- During treatment, light is applied on the skin below the eyes, most patients report minimal discomfort.
- OptiLight is followed by meibomian gland expression.
- Each session takes only 10-15 minutes. There is no downtime, you can resume your daily activities immediately.
During the 12-minute Lipiflow procedure, a device is placed over the eye and eyelids that provides localized warmth and pressure on the lids. The procedure is safe and very effective at clearing out the trapped oil glands and allowing smooth flow to be re-established.
If you suffer from chronic eye dryness, don’t delay in allowing us to help you. Our diagnostic protocol and treatments lead to excellent outcomes and happy patients.
Call us to schedule your dry eye evaluation and exam today. (619) 435-6221 Or request your appointment online.